Sunday, May 03, 2009

Seriously?!? Am I really posting??!!??

So, obviously I have been really bad at blogging...THIS YEAR! I don't even want to count how many times I have posted from Jan, till now cuz it is so few times. What can I say...I hate to write (and I'm horrible at it!). Here's my excuse, Things have been busy!! I honestly barely even check other peoples blogs, which is crazy for me! Brandon has pretty much been working for the last 3 months straight. Sometimes he works late during the week, other times it's all weekend, and some weeks it was both! I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel though. We even got to go on a little weekend away with a bunch of friends and it was so much fun!! It was definitely perfect timing for my sanity! So here's whats been going on with us, with a funny story (now, but not at the time) at the end.

Feb: Julia turned 4!

March: Work, Work, Work

April: More work. Mike came home to play baseball with the Portland Beavers so we went to the opening game...tons of fun. We are so excited to go to baseball games this summer.

I worked a couple of days, so that was nice to get out of the house and have some adult conversations! There are some weeks I was starting to feel like a single parent (I don't' know how they do it!). I also decided it is nice to go and do something I know I am good at, some days I really wonder about this raising kids thing, it is hard work!!

May: Seriously? Finally! I am ready for summer so we can enjoy it outside. I'm ready so plant my garden and start going on some bike rides. And most of all I'm ready to relax with my family!

OK, story time.

We were bored to today so I decided we would go visit Brandon then go to the Dollar store (cheap fun, and there is always random things to stock up on). The deal always is, if the kids are good they can pick something out. That of course only applies at the dollar store, I'm cheap! Well, Julia has been having a difficult time making decisions lately. Drama can sometimes arise! Well, the drama started, then the frustration set in (hers). It gets to the point were it is obvious she cannot make a decision, and is now being disobedient. She will no longer talk, and has started yelling and crying. Bummer, cuz than she is no longer being good, so no toy. I hate when they disobey and you have to stick to your guns and take whatever it is they want away. I thought she was crying and than the real tantrum starts. Screaming, crying and all the rest that goes along with tantrums! So now we have to leave. How do you get a screaming 4 year old out while holding your 31 lb almost 2 year old?!? Oh, and you are not parked close! So you have to get through the parking lot without her getting more ticked and bolting. I can't exactly drag her, but the thought did cross my mind. So...I waiting while she had her tantrum in the Dollar store. We got to the front of the store when she starts running from me. Luckily she stayed in the store. Cole and I are standing at the front of the store (we might as well been on a stage for everyone to watch!) while Julia is running all around the front making sure to not come anywhere close to me. I decided to stand there and tell her, not to get lost. There was no way I was going to chase her, while carrying Cole. I don't really like the whole idea of chasing my kids when they are in trouble anyways, I believe they should come to me, no matter what. So after about 5-10 minutes we finally get outside of the store and scream some more. In the end we all were able to walk somewhat calmly to our car. Well, maybe not calmly, but safely to our car. What a day!!! Every once in a while my kids truly shock me, sometime for something good, and other times for the bad. Today was definitely a shocker! In the end I was happy I could for the most part ignore I was being watched by EVERYONE! There was only a couple of seconds were I was insanely embarrassed, but that quickly went away. There was no way I was going to hide that my daughter was having a massive tantrum. So I didn't try, instead I used it as a huge learning lesson and did not give in. Looking back I know that the Lord gave me patience that I don't always have. He gave me strength to not give in, just so that people would stop looking at me. And He definitely gave me a sense of humor because seriously, what else can you do!?!

4 comments:

Faith said...

Wow Heidi...sounds like fun at Dollar Tree. Good job sticking to it and not giving in. I know how embarrassing it can be in public when that happens! Glad life is slowing down a little and you can enjoy more family time hopefully! It's probably good you grew up around nursery work so you know what to expect when Spring comes! I can't imagine how busy it has been!

Tonya said...

Glad to hear from you! Thanks for the updates, and sorry about your Dollar Store experience, but it sounds like it worked out, you did a good job! Hope to see you soon!

Rebecca Ekstrom said...

For the record - You have proven many times to be a vary good mother. Don't let one stressful experience get you down. We all have them! Love Aunt Becky

Jenne said...

Ooooo! good job, Mama! Sometimes the best thing we can do in the midst of embarrassing situations is decide that it is alright to be misunderstood. That's putting the priorities in the right place!